South Korea: Hanjin to resume work in Long Beach this week
Youkyung Lee,September 7, 2016, The Seattle Times
South Korea’s top economic policymaker said Wednesday that he expected Hanjin Shipping vessels marooned offshore of Long Beach, California, will be able to offload cargo this week.
Finance Minister Yoo Il-ho said at a government meeting that he expects the cargo crisis caused by Hanjin’s slide toward bankruptcy will begin to ease this week, according to a ministry statement.
Fate of stranded Hanjin ships near US ports depends on US court decision
Bill Mongelluzzo, Septmber 8, 2016, JOC.com
Five Hanjin container ships were in a holding pattern Thursday outside of US ports as the financially stressed carrier awaited a decision Friday from the New Jersey bankruptcy court that will decide whether to protect the line from asset seizures in the United States.
Three Hanjin container ships were anchored or floating offshore from Los Angeles-Long Beach to northern Mexico, with one ship outside of New York-New Jersey and one off the Georgia coast at Savannah. Another vessel, the Hanjin Scarlet, was being worked for the second straight day at Prince Rupert, British Columbia, and is scheduled to call next in Seattle, but a spokeswoman at the Northwest Seaport Alliance said Thursday the port has received no word from Hanjin when the vessel will arrive.
Little if any change in the movement of the vessels is expected until the bankruptcy court announces its decision, presumably on Friday. The court late Tuesday granted Hanjin temporary relief from seizure of its assets by creditors until Friday, after the South Korean container line filed for bankruptcy protection in South Korea last week. Nevertheless, Hanjin has not moved the vessels to berth in Long Beach, New York-New Jersey, and Savannah.
Ilwaco City Park groundbreaking ceremony set for September 15
September 6, 2016, Chinook Observer
The City of Ilwaco Parks and Recreation Commission will hold a groundbreaking ceremony for the Ilwaco City Park Phase 1 Improvements on Thursday, Sept. 15, at 3 p.m.
Plans for Phase 1 include demolishing the current bathroom, picnic shelter area, playground and tennis court to make room for a new restroom, 20’ x 34’ group picnic shelter, play area and parking. The anticipated completion date for Phase 1 is December 2016.