WE BEGIN WITH A TRIVIA QUESTION:
We know that Treasure Island was originally known as (and still is on some charts and maps) “Reach Island.” So what was the original name of Stretch Island?
BOAT RAMP PLANS:
We have had questions as to building plans for the boat ramp. Architect Roger Hansen has explained the process. There will be three sets of plans:
- Permit Plans which are required for Mason County Building Department to meet their requirements.
- Construction Plans which are what the building contractor must perform to. These are the most detailed plans.
- Bid Plans are issued to those who will be bidding on the work to be performed.
At the moment we are in conversation with the Washington State Department of Natural Resources as to the necessity of a lease as the ramp may encroach on state-owned aquatic lands.
SHERIFF BOATING SAFETY INITIATIVE:
As we reported last issue, the Port of Grapeview was instrumental in securing funding for Sheriff Assets on fresh and salt waters of Mason County. While that funding, approved by the Mason County Board of Commissioners, was targeted for hiring new personnel, at a recent Mason County Commission Briefing the Sheriff himself brought up the following:
- Hiring a new Deputy for Boating Safety does not happen quickly. The entire hiring process must be engaged and then the new hire must be sent to the Academy for training. The end date for this process has not yet been confirmed by the Sheriff and is being monitored by the Port.
- Of the three vessels the Sheriff has available, one is out of order and unrepairable. The other two are in disrepair and the process is underway to get them operational.
- The Sheriff is proposing to purchase two “jet skis.” According to the Sheriff, jet skis are easily transportable and with the immensity of Mason County waters (92 square miles – Hood Canal, Case Inlet, lakes Cushman and Mason, etc.) trailering a jet ski, launching and response time will be much quicker.
The County Commissioners recognize the urgency and need and pointed out that the 2016 Budget did not account for the jet ski expense. The Port assumes that the Sheriff and County Commissioners will come to a successful conclusion to this matter.
TRIVIA QUESTION ANSWER: Oak Island.
Tuesday, February 16 at 7 P.M.
HORTON COMMUNITY CENTER
4350 GRAPEVIEW LOOP ROAD
The February Meeting Agenda is available on our website home page – www.portofgrapeview.com